• About Lawrence County

  • co_lawrence.png
  • Lawrence County at a Glance

    Lawrence County is located in northwest Alabama. The Tennessee River’s Wheeler Lake forms the northern border of the county, while Bankhead National Forest occupies the southern fourth of the county. Lawrence County is bounded by Colbert and Franklin Counties to the west, Morgan and Cullman Counties to the east, and Winston County to the south. Lauderdale and Limestone Counties are across the Tennessee River to the north. The county encompasses approximately 693 square miles.  The city of Moulton, the county seat, is just south of the geographic center of the county. The northern part of the county, along the banks of the Tennessee River, is relatively flat. As you go further south you ascend a plateau across the central part of the county, with the area in the Bankhead National Forest rising again into a mountainous area.

    Here are the approximate distances between Moulton and other major cities in the region:

  • Decatur
    20 miles

    35 miles

    45 miles

    50 miles

    85 miles

  • Montgomery
    180 miles

    340 miles

    Nashville, TN
    135 miles

    Memphis, TN
    180 miles

  • What you need to know about Lawrence County

  • 911 Address Card 911 Address Card

    Addresses in Lawrence County are assigned by the 911 office in Moulton. Before obtaining power, water or telephone service in the county, you must get an address card to present to these offices. The 911 office is located in the Lehman Wood building at 555 Walnut Street, on the corner of Walnut and Main in Moulton. The non-emergency telephone number is (256) 9747201.

    Driver Licenses Driver Licenses

    New Alabama residents have 30 days after establishing legal residency to exchange their out of state driver licenses to valid Alabama licenses or if moving within the state, to record their new address. Residents coming in from out of state must present a certified document of identification, preferably a valid driver license from another state. Driver licenses are issued for four-year periods. Licenses can be obtained from the Driver License Examiner’s Office located in the Lawrence County Administrative and Judicial Center. For information call 256-974-2439. Requirements for a license can be found at www.dps.state.al.us

    Vehicle Registration and Tags Vehicle Registration and Tags

    The law requires that all newcomers to Alabama have 30 days after establishing residency to change their out of state vehicle registration to Alabama. To do this, you must present a certificate of title, the vehicle registration and possibly a bill of sale to the Lawrence County Revenue Commissioner’s office in the Lawrence County Administrative and Judicial Center.

    Voter Registration Voter Registration

    The Lawrence County Board of Registrar, is located in the Lawrence County Administrative and Judicial Center.  To register to vote, a resident must present the last four digits of their Social Security number, driver license number, photo ID and their home address.

    School Registration School Registration

    To register to attend school in Lawrence County, children must have a birth certificate, Social Security card, immunization record and proof of residency. For more information, call the Lawrence County Board of Education Central Office in Moulton at 256-905-2400.

    Media Media

    The only newspaper published in Lawrence County is The Moulton Advertiser. Founded in 1828, it is the oldest weekly newspaper in Alabama. Published each Thursday, The Advertiser also produces the Ad Plus, a weekly total-market-coverage publication. The Advertiser also publishes a variety of non-newspaper publications, including Focus Magazine. The newspaper is located at 659 Main Street in Moulton. The mailing address is P.O. Box 517, Moulton, 35650. The telephone number is 256-974-1114 or fax 256-974-3097. The newspaper website is www.moultonadvertiser. com. The local Lawrence County radio station is WALW 97.9-FM which operates 24-hours from its studios in Moulton. The format includes a unique blend of country, rock, bluegrass, blues and gospel and is called All Southern. The station also broadcasts live local sports. It is locally owned by CEI Radio. The telephone number is 256-905-4400. The daily newspaper with the most circulation in Lawrence County is The Decatur Daily, which can be ordered by calling 256-340-2410 or by visiting www. decaturdaily.com. There is no local commercial television station in Lawrence County. Nearby commercial television stations which have local coverage include WHNT-TV (CBS), WAAY-TV (ABC), WAFF-TV (NBC) and WZDX-TV (Fox). The PBS station in the area is WHIQ which is part of the Alabama Public Television network.

    Utilities Electricity Utilities Electricity

    Joe Wheeler EMC provides electricity for all of Lawrence County, with the exception of, the City of Courtland which has its own electric department. Electric service can be established at JWEMC offices in Moulton or at the utility headquarters located on Gordon Terry Parkway (Ala. 24) in Trinity. For residential service, you must furnish a Social Security number and present a driver license or other identification with picture ID. There is a $75 origination fee plus a refundable deposit based on the customer’s credit history

    Commercial service must be established through the engineer office at the headquarters office. If you need service for a mobile home, you must provide a health department permit. For more information, call JWEMC at 256-552-2300. The requirements for electric power for the Courtland Electric Department are similar. For more information, call the Courtland Electric Department at 256-637-2707.

    Natural Gas Natural Gas

    There are several sources for natural gas in Lawrence County depending on where you live. For more information call:

    • Moulton Gas Department at 256-974-8551
    • North Alabama Gas District for Courtland, Town Creek and Hillsboro at 256-685-2708.
    • Wheeler Basin Natural Gas is a wholly owned by Joe Wheeler Electric Membership Corp. It serves an area in the eastern part of the county and has its headquarters on County Road 434. For more information, call 256-974-9023. 
    • Thompson Gas 256-974-5001

    Water Service Water Service

    Water service in Lawrence County is provided by both municipal and rural water services. For more information, call:

    • Moulton at 256-974-8551
    • Town Creek at 256-685-3344
    • West Lawrence Water Co-op at 256-974-9114
    • West Morgan-East Lawrence Water System at 256-355-3746
  • Lawrence County, AL

  • County Demographics

  • Civilian labor force, May, 2017

    Median Household Income, 2016

    Total population, 2017 est.

    Number of Housing Units, 2017 est.

  • County Seat

    Other Municipalities:   


  • News Releases