North Alabama AHEC (Area Health Education Center) is looking for community-minded individuals with a passion for helping others. As a community health worker (CHW), you will reach out to the local community in sharing accurate, timely information specific to COVID-19 and other health related topics. Knowledge of current community issues and resources available will be key to success in this role. CHW’s serve as trustworthy members of the community and must be willing to engage with other community leaders, organizations and influential entities.
Duties and Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Engage in outreach efforts to raise community awareness of COVID-19 and other community health related issues.
• Participate in on-going community health worker training including COVID-19, Mental Health First Aid, and community engagement.
• Serve as liaison between the NAAHEC organization, community-based resources, and the community.
• Represent the organization at community meetings, festivals, and other relevant events.
• Assist with setting up COVID testing and vaccination sites (location, date, and time).
• Market health promotion events in your local community – post flyers, alert local media outlets, share on social media, etc.
• Make calls/contact with participants in sponsored community events.
• Complete administrative tasks on an ongoing basis to ensure proper and organized record keeping, working with AHEC staff members and community partners when/if necessary.
Job Skills & Qualifications
• High school diploma or its equivalent
• People skills and the ability to reach out to community residents.
• Organizational skills and able to work independently.
• Available to work 4 – 15 hours per week. Compensation The position is part-time temporary (contract). Compensation is dependent on academic background and experience, the range is $12 - $15 per hour.